Calvary Baptist Church and the Boy Scouts
Calvary Baptist Church has enjoyed a highly successful partnership with the Boy Scouts of America for almost 60 years through sponsoring troop 942. We are grateful for a scouting program positively impacting so many young people in our church and community. We have particularly appreciated the Scouts emphasis on personal responsibility to God and country and a commitment to moral uprightness.
Recently, the Boy Scouts of America voted to affirm openly homosexual participation in their organization. This decision is controversial and directly challenges the moral standards of churches across the U.S. sponsoring scout troops.
Given Calvary Baptist Church's long history and good relationship with the scouting program, the Boy Scouts decision created a dilemma and required a thoughtful and patient response of our church leaders, scout leaders, and scout families. After a season of prayer, conversation, and deliberation the church has decided Calvary Baptist Church will end its relationship with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) as of December 31, 2013.
The church will seek to make a smooth transition by taking the following steps..
- We are currently assisting those in the Eagle Scout process to achieve their award in this calendar year.
- We are assisting those who want to stay with the BSA to find another pack or troop.
- We will continue to invest in the character development of boys and young men by starting a relationship with a similar kind of national outdoor character development program such as the one currently being launched called On My Honor.
- We have launched an interim program within the church to bridge current scouts into the new national program.
- It is our intention to recruit members and develop this program into a premiere local and regional program.
We appreciate the opportunity to have served our community through a highly respected scouting program. We value the strong established relationships and memories made through the scouting program at Calvary. We look forward to continuing our boys character development program under a new name and charter. Our desire is to support and strengthen young people through our affiliation with a traditional values based program.
If you have an elementary, middle or high school boy interested in participating please contact our church offices.
If you are a leader who are interested in participating locally or regionally, please contact the church offices as well.
Click here for some questions and answers concerning Calvary Baptist Church and the Boy Scouts of America.