The Pastor Search Team is still hard at work pursuing God’s leading as we seek the next pastor for Calvary. The team is deep into stage 4 of the process and continuing to work to narrow candidates down. The team appreciates your prayers and encouragement. Now more than ever, as the process intensifies, your prayers are needed.
A Call to Prayer for the Church
As the Pastor Search process progresses, the Pastor Search Team is asking the church to come together in the month of February for focused prayer. Each week will be specific prayer directives for us as a church family to engage in.
FEBRUARY 2 | PRAISE & ADORATION
Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples!
For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.
Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord for how you have seen Him connect you to Himself and community through Calvary.
FEBRUARY 9 | PRAYER & HUMILITY
2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Pray for our church that we will listen to God and humble ourselves to find joy in His answer.
FEBRUARY 16 | A THANKFUL HEART
Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Spend time each day this week thanking God for what He has done in your life and in the lives of your Church family.
FEBRUARY 23 | THE PASTOR SEARCH TEAM
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,
JANUARY 12, 2020 UPDATE
Beginning the Third Stage of the Search Process
PASTOR SEARCH PROCESS
In August of 2019, the Pastor Search Team (PST) was presented to the church membership for approval. This team’s mission is to prayerfully and strategically search for candidates for the Office of Senior Pastor, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, seek to discern God’s will and present to the church family a senior pastor candidate who will shepherd Calvary in continuing to live out its mission of Connecting People to Christ and Community.
The different stages of this process are described below. It is the commitment of the PST to communicate to the church family on a regular basis as we engage this process together.
- The PST has spent time in developing a team unity through sharing personal testimonies and specific prayer time. This initial time of meeting together has been critical to form bonds of trust as we walk through this sacred process.
- The PST entered into the search process partnering with the Vanderbloemen Search Group. Vanderbloemen is a well-know and respected firm in the church recruitment field.
- The PST developed a pastor profile as a guide for the search. This profile contained characteristics that are desired of our next Senior Pastor.
- The PST has sought counsel and insight from denominational leaders as well as our interim Senior Pastor, David Horner.
- The PST along with Tim Gocha, our consultant from Vanderbloemen, held a launch weekend where we engaged various age groups from our church family. This was a time for us to hear from the church as to their thoughts on the search and the next Senior Pastor.
- The PST developed a job description and qualifications along with an overview video of Calvary for the job posting to go on the Vanderbloemen website. Click here to view the posting.
- The job posting went live in December 2019
- Vanderbloemen will assist the PST in identifying candidates for the Senior Pastor position. Vanderbloemen’s process includes:
- Developing a good understanding of our search criteria through discussions with the PST.
- Sourcing potential candidates from their proprietary database as well as their extensive networks.
- Evaluating candidates for their strengths and weaknesses as well as overall fit. This will involve listening to sermons, performing social media checks, reviewing websites, and interviewing the candidates
- Presenting a group of vetted candidates to the PST for deeper consideration. It is anticipated that there will be between four and seven candidates presented in the initial batch.
- The PST has also engaged various leadership of the church, including Personnel Committee and Deacons, to ensure transparency in the search process. This engagement will continue as identified throughout the process.
- Reviewing all material prepared by Vanderbloemen on each of the candidates. This will involve listening to multiple sermons, reading résumés, viewing church websites, and exploring other available information such as podcasts, blogs, or books written by the candidates.
- The PST will then determine which of the candidates it wants to consider further. For example, if seven candidates are presented, some may be dropped from the list based on the PST’s initial investigation.
- The next step for the PST will be to conduct an introductory 45- to 60-minute video interview with each candidate. It is anticipated that more candidates may be removed from consideration at this point.
- A second, more in-depth video interview will be conducted for the remaining candidates.
- The final evaluation step will be a face-to-face, day-long interview with the remaining candidates.
- Once the PST has fully vetted all final candidates, it will present the final candidate to the church family for a vote.
Please pray for the PST that they may discern the Lord’s will for the Senior Pastor position at Calvary Baptist Church. Pray also for our congregation, that we all might prepare our hearts and minds to move into this new era with zeal for what the Lord will do through us in Winston-Salem and around world. To God be the glory.
PASTOR SEARCH TEAM
Member Since: 2003
Family: Jennifer (wife), Jonah (14), Jana (11), Josiah (5)
Involvement: Adult BF Teacher, Deacon (Secretary, Nominating Committee), Prayer Partner, Day School Committee, Reach Forward Together Children’s Stewardship Coordinator, Love Winston-Salem Champion, Men’s Bible Study Leader, CEI teacher, 10 Initiative Team
Member Since: 2012
Family: Ben (husband), Benjamin (23), Joshua (1997–2015), Nathaniel (17)
Involvement: Preschool BF Teacher, VBS/Kids Camp, Children’s Choir, VG/Student Ministries, BF Small Group Leader, Prayer Partner
Member Since: 1998
Family: Patti (wife), 3 grown children, 3 grandchildren
Involvement: Adult BF Teacher, Deacon, Missions Committee, Personnel Committee, Vision Pathway Team, Business Missions to Ukraine
Member Since: 2010
Family: David (husband), Aleah (8)
Involvement: Adult BF Co-Leader, Women’s Bible Study Leader, Healthcare Initiative Member, Service Committee, Children’s Choir, Exalt Middle School Choir Sponsor, Adult Choir Member
Member Since: 2016
Family: Michael (husband), Caroline (10), Charlie (7), Sidney (5), Maggie (2)
Involvement: Calvary West KidsMin, Adult BF Group Coordinator
Member Since: 1971
Family: Stan (husband), 4 grown children, 3 grandchildren
Involvement: Personnel Committee, Day School Committee, First Grade BF Teacher, FROG (Calvary Southside), Preschool BF Teacher, Mission Friends, AWANA
Member Since: 2009
Family: Annie (wife), Carden (10), Carsyn (7), Weston (3)
Involvement: Deacon, Calvary West Adult BF Leader, Preschool Worker, First Impressions Team Member
Member Since: 1993
Family: Kathy (wife), 1 grown son and 3 grandsons
Involvement: Student Ministry BF Teacher, VG Sponsor, Deacon, Vision Pathway Team, Day School Committee (Chairman), Recreation Committee
Member Since: 2003
Family: Becky (wife), 2 grown daughters, 1 grandson
Involvement: Ordained SBC Minister, FROG, ESL Mentor, Recreation Committee, Baptismal Committee, Starting Point Facilitator, Marriage Mentor, Calvary Day School Bible Teacher and Substitute Teacher
The mission of Calvary’s Pastor Search Team is to prayerfully and strategically search for candidates for the Office of Senior Pastor, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, seek to discern God’s will and present to the church family a senior pastor candidate who will shepherd Calvary in continuing to live out its mission of Connecting People to Christ and Community.